Dinner time can be stressful as a mom of three boys... Trying to find something that everyone likes to eat is nearly impossible. I recently started buying frozen Flounder from Aldi, and I cooked it a few times for Lee and I, kind of assuming that the boys wouldn't like it (never assume mamas). Well Tommy tried it one night, and boom, he LOVED it! That sparked Joey's interest, and then Jack wanted to try it too. Now its a fan favorite, and I love it too. The recipe is super simple, and the Flounder can be found at Aldi in the frozen foods section, with the rest of the fish.
- Frozen Flounder
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Thaw the desired number of pieces of fish you'd like to cook. I keep them in their plastic package, put them in a bowl in the sink, and fill with cold water.
- They take roughly 10 minutes to completely thaw.
- After they are thawed, remove the plastic packaging, discard plastic, and place fish on a plate or paper towels to dry.
- Once the fish is dried completely, season both sides with salt & pepper and garlic powder. Then sprinkle cornmeal on each side. This will give the fish that crunchy texture.
- Preheat a skillet to medium/low heat with roughly 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. It really depends on how many pieces of fish you are cooking.
- Once the pan is hot, cook fish on one side for 4 minutes. After that, flip to the other side and cook an additional 4 minutes.
I usually serve this with some steamed veggies and some kind of starch, like Uncle Bens Brown Rice.
Let me know if you give this a try!