Homemade Taco Seasoning & Taco Rice
Who doesn't love Taco night?
If you're family is like ours, we love taco night! I always used to buy the store bought taco seasoning that Taco Bell offers, and it was good, but once I tried making my own, I was hooked (and my family was too). It's so much more flavorful and has a lot less sodium. I'm always looking for ways that I can provide my family with better food choices, and this was an easy swap to make.
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Mix all the spices together and store in an airtight container. I typically just save an old spice container and store it in that.
- Use this seasoning just like you would a store bought package.
My kids eat the taco meat mixed in with some kind of Taco Rice. I used to buy the prepackaged mix, and it was good, but I'm trying to make more things from scratch. Not only does it taste better, has more flavor, but you can control how much salt is added. This recipe is really easy to make, and takes about 10 minutes.
Homemade Taco Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- First I like to measure the chili powder, cumin and oregano and set aside in a bowl.
- Next I chop the onion and garlic in a mini prep chopper.
- Pour the olive oil in a medium sauce pot, and heat on medium/low heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Be-careful not to let it burn.
- Next add the uncooked rice and the three spices.
- Stir frequently for about 1 minute, until you can smell the spices cooking.
- Add the water, mix thoroughly, then add the salt.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium/low meat for 7-9 minutes, stirring every few minutes to avoid sticking.
- I typically set my timer for 8 minutes, but its usually done when almost all of the water has evaporated.
Serve immediately and enjoy! Any comments or questions, please leave them below. Taco night isn't complete without my homemade Guacamole recipe.