Vegan Chickpea Curry
We LOVE curry at our house! It's warm and comforting and I just love the spices and garlic. This is a super simple recipe that I adapted from "Eating Well" magazine. We enjoyed this over Jasmine rice, but you could use any kind of rice or quinoa. I also served Garlic Nann on the side (my favorite).
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 6 gloves garlic
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 14oz coconut milk
- 2 15oz cans of chick peas
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Cook onions until lightly golden, stirring frequently, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, garam masala, ginger, cumin, coriander, half of the salt, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Stir frequently and cook until slightly thickened., about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from the heat.
- Blend sauce in an immersion blender or Vitamix, until smooth. If you don't have anything like this, don't worry! The sauce will still turn out delicious.
- Return the sauce to the pan, add chick peas and squeeze of lemon. Stir until warmed.
- Pour over rice and top with cilantro. You're done!
I added some vegan meatballs I found at Aldi, but this could be eaten without them as well. Let me know if you try this recipe and how you like it!